Never put too much stock into a first game of the season. Also need to remember they were playing without Sproles last night. He was out due to an ankle injury.
Printable View
Never put too much stock into a first game of the season. Also need to remember they were playing without Sproles last night. He was out due to an ankle injury.
"Being methodical doesn't necessarily mean playing 'slowball.'" A fair point, but I'm not sure most high school guards understand when to push and when to slow down and get into the half court offense but, at the same time, continue to score. From my experience, the senior Kelly guards definitely don't. As a result, "methodical" ofren results in "slowball," and, unfortunately, turnovers or, to your later point, forced shots. This was certainly true in the first Haysi game (home) last year. If they want to limit the score on both ends, they'll have to be much more effective at scoring in the half court.
"JJK did the same thing last night that I saw them do in a few games last year when they went into periods where they were just trying to force shots without setting up their plays." Yes, this was especially true in the first half. Dotson, in particular, forced a number of shots. Miller did, as well, though from closer in.
"a team like JIB or Appalachia will be able to match any tempo they want to play." Probably true, but if Kelly can't score in the half court, and can't control its turnovers, it'll have to get some easy baskets, which I think it can do, if the problems with the press defense are ironed out.
"I was impressed with Collins' play inside last night. He went after re-bounds and was effective." Indeed, this is the best he has ever played. He is a fine athlete--placed 3rd in the 400 meters at state, and is becoming a good basketball player. He'll have to be careful about going too hard after rebounds (especially from behind), however, because he had four fouls last night even with a very loosely officiated ball game. He definitely scores best on stick backs and in transition.
A very good point. Sproles' presence will certainly change the dynamics. He's a gritty competitor.
Yes, Sproles has been one of the better players for JJK. Considering they beat their opponent by 35 pts without him, I think it kinda illustrates their depth. This is probably the most experienced team TJ has had at JJK.
Is this the same Rye Cove team that Pound beat by 24 in a benefit game last week? How strong can a team be if Pound beat them that bad. And didn't Pound play without Keith and other contributors?
I wouldn't take a lot of stock into performances against Rye Cove early this season.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Golic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this the same Rye Cove team that Pound beat by 24 in a benefit game last week? How strong can a team be if Pound beat them that bad. And didn't Pound play without Keith and other contributors?
I wouldn't take a lot of stock into performances against Rye Cove early this season. </div></div>
No kidding.
It's LPD basketball for what its worth.
By no means does this win mean that JJK is going to be the team to beat in the district or region, but it's a good preview of what the team has to offer.
Last year ended with JJK, JIB, and PV in a three-way tie for the regular season and then Appalachia coming in and winning the district. I don't think any team in the district has anything locked down. I don't think any team will go undefeated in the district.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Golic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this the same Rye Cove team that Pound beat by 24 in a benefit game last week? How strong can a team be if Pound beat them that bad. And didn't Pound play without Keith and other contributors?
I wouldn't take a lot of stock into performances against Rye Cove early this season. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Indian_Dad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's step up,be mature,and refrain from petty name calling. That right there is stupid. When did I say awesome Biggin?
Let us review what I did say this year:
JJK will finish no worse than 7-3. You and others laughed. Who ended up stupid there?
JJK will beat PV at Bullitt. Again laughter. Who ended up stupid there?
Lebanon will not blow JJK out (again hit it on the head)
Lakers will beat Spurs-your avatar was niiice though
ACC will win 3 out of 4 last weekend,while you said the reverse. You are right-NOT,I sure am stupid. Dang it's hard to be humble sometimes when you are gettin' em all right.
Tell me again how stupid I am? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif[/img] I can only hope to someday be the sports guru that you are Biggin [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif[/img] </div></div>
yeah, you got five predictions right all year [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif[/img]
you're stupid because you cannot tell a joke from something that is not a joke.
when is national prison guard day again??
and yeah, you should wish you were the guru I am, you wouldnt sound as ignorant most of the time.
but high school sports are the most important, right??
Dude if you think that potshotting my line of work /personally insulting someone makes your day,have at it. I have zero problem taking the high road and being better than you because of it. You calling anyone stupid or ignorant is the pot calling the kettle black for sure. Go ahead and fire of another round of juvenille insults if it floats your boat,but the bottom line is you'll still be in the wrong (again)
can't we all just get along?